SI Creationx

SI Creationx
Lighter side of Life

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Me & My Plays by Mahesh Dattani

Hello guys!
I arranged a poll on my Instagram ( SI Creationx ) a few days ago about reviewing the book "Me & My plays by Mahesh Dattani". The poll went positive as most of you wanted a review of this dramatic masterpiece. So here I am, giving you a feedback of this piece and personally I loved studying this book and enjoyed the theatrical content of Dattani's book at its peak.
The book is divided into three main parts. First portion comprises of Mahesh Dattani's life story which mentions his interest and struggle for theatre. Second part is a stage drama "Where did I leave my Purdah?" and the third part is also a play named "The Big Fat City". Both of these plays have turned to be a massive success for Dattani as they catch bare highlights from the practices of society. Dattani's first part portrays his interest for theatre from his childhood and his increasing passion and struggle along with his increasing age. It seemed more like a success story to me because Dattani has thoroughly told about his highs and lows regarding his theatre struggle. This portion also reflects Dattani's initiative in theatre for putting forward plays on topics like homosexuality, religious fanaticism and child sexual abuse etc. He faced severe criticism from his people for such plays.
Second portion is a play "Where did I leave my Purdah?" This play puts a spotlight on the life of a theatre actress named Nazia who is in her 80s and she is forced to remember some past events of her life due to Zarine and her daughter Nikhat while Nazia has planned a comeback on stage. However, the play ends on a positive note when Nazia twirls in ultimate happiness.
The third part is a play named "The Big Fat City". Dattani's theme for it is black comedy which portrays lives of different people and how they end up in Mumbai being stuck in a murder case of India's renowned actress Lalita Jagtiani's husband. I found this play a bit cold but still it was thrilling as major actions like drug addiction and murder are performed in a light tone with great skill by players.
On a whole, I loved the life story of Dattani because it gives me major motivation vibes. Talking about the plays, my favorite was Where did I left my Purdah due to its thrilling strong climax. Dattani has used sophisticated approach for both the plays and depicted them beautifully on stage. The actors have also added beauty to the plays by putting extreme effort and performing at their levels best.
That's all for now. Hope you guys enjoyed it. Comment below and tell me your sincere thoughts about it. Also tell me your views even if you've read this book and you've got your own point of view.

1 comment:

  1. This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post!
    Content Creator Tools

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

5 Ways Education was better in the Muslim Golden Age

It is no secret that I am a critic of the modern school system. An experiment that started just over one hundred years ago, the current syst...